Saturday, June 02, 2007

My first & last post about dating

I'm one of the few people that I know who would rather go on a bad date then a good one. For instance, if a guy is looking at other women while I'm talking, this means that I can order 2 expensive desserts. If we are going rock climbing, I can let him pay for the shoes, & then announce that I'm scared of heights. It's basically the idea of the stupid tax. It's always done in quite a dramatic way that usually gets my point across that women should be treated better. Yes, it is evil, but like it says on the sampler cross-stitched on my wall "Better to be evil than stupid".

I've dated before, but it's always been the way that Rory from "Gilmore Girls" dates, I go out with someone & they become my boyfriend. When I like a guy, I usually say "Hey, I like you", & that is that. The problem lies in that last week I had a good date. I know, what a thing to be bummed about right? As far as boys go, I would say he was not so stupid, definitely someone I would like to get to know better. Now, I'm out of my realm, & I feel all "girly" & not in control & blast, I'm Sara, this is just not right. I think he had fun too, & was surprised at how wicked awesome I am (I am Sarakastic after all).

Soon the rumor mill was churning with the news that Sarakastic went out on a date & didn't even yell or kick him. I have been receiving advice from everything from call him, drive 40 miles out of your way to church to be close to him, forget about him, he drives Lorelai's car it's a sign, send a thank you note to the person who set you up, which seems very Jane Austen to me.

Normally, I wouldn't do anything. However, I see that there are some ways our signals might have been crossed. He dates a lot, which means he's around girls who express that they like him by a touch of the arm, batting eyelashes, or any of the other things that girls do to express like. However, apparently the way I express that I like someone is not kicking them or just ordering one dessert.

The problem is that none of this feels Sarakastic to me. Now I'm stuck in a quandary of what to do, do I call him, wait for him to call me, forget about him, trust the universe, rant about why boys wait so long to call? I'm just not going to worry about it, ready set go. Hopefully next time I post I will be feeling more Sarakastic.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Wandered over from Trish's dishes.

My ass-vice? Wait and see. As 50s as that sounds, if he's interested he'll call. If you've heard rumors, then so has he. :)

Good luck.

LEstes65 said...

Right now, I'm in the middle of a huge severe thunderstorm - the kind that come complete with "sighted funnel clouds". I'm sure it's a sign for me to interpret to you but I can't quite figure out exactly what.

My only advice is this: trust your gut always. Never never NEVER ignore any red flag (or flag of any color, for that matter). And if he turns out ok, does he have an older brother?

j said...

I have no advice except that you shouldn't follow the advice of whomever told you to write a thank you note to the person who set you up. Weird.

Trish Ryan said...

I know what you mean - as bad as bad dates are, at least they give you funny stories afterwards. Good dates are far more agonizing, wondering afterwards what to do next (if anything) and Monday morning quarterbacking every word and gesture.

My thought would be to ignore the more extreme bits of advice (gas is expensive right now, so I'd skip the 40 mile drive) and trust that if it's meant to work out, God has overcome greater obstacles than this to bring men and women together. Who knows, maybe this guy hates meaningful arm touches and fluttery eyelashes???

Unknown said...

Where can I get a sampler like that?! :)

I do appreciate the Lorelai Jeep angle!

I say (not that you asked for more advice, but here I go anyway) give him a couple days to call...if he takes longer, definitely order 2 desserts if you decide to go out with him again! :)

Beth said...

Yay! A good date is a good thing, not a bad one!

I would wait for him to call me. I may be old-fashioned, but I wouldn't call him first. I have been told (through the book He's Just Not That Into You) that guys like a bit of a chase and don't neccessarily want girls to ask them out. Oh, and especially if he dates a lot, don't chase him; let him chase you because you are worth the chase!

But when he calls, be sure to make plans to see him again. Good luck!