Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How is this possible?

I was watching a commercial for a restless leg syndrome medication last night. The usual warnings, it may kill you, see your doctor if your legs get more restlessy. Then came this, "discontinue use if you have an increased urge to gamble".

How does that go exactly? "Well my legs have stopped twitching, but I lost my house in Vegas". This is the only time that I've wished I was a doctor. I want to ask my doctor about this medicine per the commercials instructions. Not because I have restless legs but I just have to know how exactly does a medicine designed to calm down your legs increase your urgency to gamble?

You just know the test group was filled with sarcastic people like me, "Oh yeah, my legs are fine, but I want to hit the slots". Between the two, I would definitely choose the gambling because it's one of the rare moments in life where you can say, "The meds made me do it!". This begs the burning question, if you had to have restless leg syndrome, or a gambling addiction which one would you choose?

10 comments:

MaeMae said...

seriously!!?? that's completely hilarious! you know, i think i'd rather have the gambling addiction, but who'd have thought that would ever be a real trade off!

Beth said...

Are you kidding me with this? On that note, maybe my allergy medication is causing my shopping addiction. Hmmm....

Allie said...

I am speechless (almost), that is one of the craziest things I've heard in a while!

Yeah - I'd go for the gambling addiction too :)

Stacy said...

Are you sure it was a real commercial? I don't see how restless leg syndrome could be a real disorder. Or how meds could lead to a gambling problem. Unless the med stimulates the part of the brain that makes impulsive decisions. . .

I'd go with the restless legs.

Unknown said...

I guess since Jason and I always end up in Vegas, we might as well do some actual gambling! :)

Bizarre commercial though.

Julie Carobini said...

Were you watching SNL at the time? LOL

LEstes65 said...

I love all the "fine print" caveat warnings that are spoken in a lower tone and very quickly. The joke in my house when we hear any drug commercial is, "Symptoms may include but are not limited to anal bleeding." That was actually a real caveat on a commercial years ago that just made me cringe.

Anonymous said...

Yup! That advertisement really annoys me too!
Cheers

Ms. Friday said...

What I don't understand is how all new drugs warn that a possible side effect is DEATH. I'd rather chance a gambling addiction...Debt is better than death.

Trish Ryan said...

All of these commercials make me wince. The one with the older couple in the outdoor bathtubs is the worst, followed by the ones about men having to pee too often that the have on a replay loop through all major league sporting events. But the restless leg syndrome ones are in a class of tackiness all their own. ACK.

Thank God for the quick change buttons on the remote!