Friday, September 28, 2007

The place where meme's go to die

Yes, I've already blogged today but Stacy tagged me with the book meme & it made me feel very Rory Gilmore so here it goes:

Total number of books? One Bazillion.

Last Book read? The power of nice: how to conquer the business world with kindness".

Last Book Bought? I don't buy very many books anymore. This had to do with the fact that I figured out that once I bought all of Rory's books, I would've spent more money on books than I did on my car. Instead I use paperbackswap which is a free book trading club, or you can even buy credits. There are over a million books in the system. Basically you can look for any book that is on Amazon, if they don't have it, they put you on a waiting list. They also have a sister site swapacd. This was really helpful because although my library has 6 Beyonce CD's, they don't have "Death of a Salesman".

Ok, focus Sara. This book is currently on the way to my house.



Five meaningful Books?


I never read Tuesdays with Morrie. However, Mitch Albom dedicated this book to his Uncle who has passed on but always felt unimportant on this earth. It really drives home the point of how everyone's life matters.

I wouldn't say that this Cormac McCarthy book is life changing. It just surprised me that I liked it. It doesn't have any tiaras in it. It doesn't mention Matt Damon. In fact, it's a modern western. It is probably the only book I've ever read that I could recommend to my father. Especially since the sheriff in this book is basically my Dad. Except my dad isn't all violent, & he's not a sheriff.


The most beautiful book I've ever read. The writing just flows, it's like poetry. Except that I hate poetry & I love this book.

I struggled about whether or not to put Trainspotting on this list because I don't think it will appeal to most. Besides the fact that it was a quite controversial book about heroin users in Scotland, I probably would've found it offensive at more conservative stages of my life. Plus, you really have to want to read when you pick up this book because it's written with a Scottish accent. It comes with a glossary in the back that is insanely helpful. This is one of those books that it's hard to figure out who the bad guy is. Once I got over that aspect, I loved it because the characters were just so human. I now have a wicked awesome Scottish accent that I think will be helpful when I am princess of Canada.

The Tao of Pooh could also be called "The anti Sarakastic". This is the philosophy of life that I wish I could follow, but I'm just way too umm Sarakastic.

I'm eagerly awaiting He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not: A Memoir of Finding the Right God -- And the Right Guy by Trish Ryan

I'm adding a question to the meme because I'm a rebel like that & because I get to type in bold which is just wicked awesome.

What's the longest it's ever taken you to finish a book? It's taken me a year & a half to reach page 257 of David Cooperfield. Estimated date of completion: 2019

I hope that my lack of meme tagging doesn't hurt this meme because it's a great one. I tag anyone who reads this post who also reads books.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Those are all books I haven't read.

Am I going to have to put a tiara in my book for you to read it? Actually, I think I might now that the idea has occurred to me.

My book is suffering from a tiara deficiency!

Unknown said...

Aw! Pooh Bear! I love Pooh.

I purchased Tuesdays with Morrie and The 5 People You Meet in Heaven at the same time, but read TWM first. I must say, it was somewhat disappointing. Not that it wasn't good, it just wasn't as 'life-changing' as everyone assured me it would be. Good, but not great.

Haven't read The 5 People yet though. I'll let you know how I like it! :) Sigh. You've added some books to my must read list! :)

Alyssa Goodnight said...

You picked up a Scottish accent from the book?? That sounds like a must-read to me.

And I think my 'longest to finish book' would have to be Jane Austen's Emma. It's been like nine years now. I've seen the movie--LOVED it--and started reading the book, multiple times. Somehow it just never stuck (even though the writing/humor was perfect).

Trish Ryan said...

Aww...you're the best! I can assure you that my book is very much the opposite of the Tao of Pooh. I've just never been that mellow :) But I have no idea how I come out in comparison to the Scottish heroin users....