Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Writing prompts

I wanted to write something about Thanksgiving, but all I could come up with "It's the most craptastic holiday in pretty much the entire world." I love the thankful part. It's the whole cooking for two weeks so people can eat for 20 minutes while we have stinted conversation about the fact that I'm not married & then they watch football & I am not thankful that I don't have a dishwasher part that I don't like. Leaving the blog blank for the holidays felt like last year when all of the good shows had the writer's strike & then they just came back with holiday episodes in January. So, I went in search of Thanksgiving Day writing prompts, to truly convey what thanksgiving means to me.

Words to inspire thankful thoughts. Choose one word (or a group of words) from the list below and write freely about what they personally mean to you.

Thankfulness, gratitude, abundance, warmth, security, family, football, tradition, November, Harvest Festival, fourth Thursday in November, Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, Thanksgiving Proclamation, George Washington, 1789, Pilgrims, settlers, Indians, fall, autumn, feast, turkey, gravy, dressing, stuffing, corn, yams with marshmallows, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, cranberry sauce, corn bread, Christmas shopping.

This list both saddens & confuses me. I feel much gratitude for the abundance & warmth that comes from yams with marshmallows.

What does celebrating Thanksgiving represent or symbolize to you?

I honestly don't understand how the day makes you thankful. It makes me $#@%@^ obviously. I am grateful when it is over.

Do you feel the focus on the positive in our lives is too often overlooked in favor of the negative or sensational?

Yes, non positive people suck.

Do you spend Thanksgiving day alone or with others? How would prefer to spend it?

I would prefer to spend it in Spain with someone who closely resembles Matt Damon or a ninja.

Thanksgiving often symbolizes "abundance". What do you feel about the idea of abundance in the world?

I like abundance. We could use some more of it.

Do you look forward to the "biggest shopping day of the year" kicking off your Christmas shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving?

I have never gone shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. One of my secrets is that I've always wanted to go just so I could get in one of those crazy fights over a toy & be on the news because someone broke my legs with a shopping cart. Two words: hip check. I'm classy like that.

3 comments:

Allie said...

Thank you for writing the one post I've read so far that makes me feel a bit more accepting of the fact that we don't have Thanksgiving in NZ.

Anonymous said...

I agree with so many of these responses. I had Mexican food on Thanksgiving (Cafe Rio, actually...hey, they were here first), and stayed away from retail locations at all costs for the rest of the weekend.

xox

Unknown said...

hooray for not being the only one who thinks this holiday stinks! everytime i try to write about thanksgiving or christmas i just end up being totally crabby. as a matter of fact, on thanksgiving day i sent a text message to jason saying "this day can't be over fast enough".

joy to the world!