Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Does Peta know about this?

I can't remember where I heard this one, but apparently it checks out. Back in the day King Charles was annoyed by the ravens on the tower of London. He wanted to get rid of them until he heard the myth that if there were ever fewer than six ravens on the tower of London, the Kingdom would fall. Since then, there have always been eight ravens on the tower of London. How do they keep them there? Well they clip their wings so they can't fly away. If you
want to know the ravens names, according to wikipedia they are (this is from 2006):

  • Gwylum (M/18 yrs)
  • Thor (M/15)
  • Hugin (F/11)
  • Munin (F/11)
  • Branwen (F/3 yrs)
  • Bran (M/3)
  • Gundulf (M/1)
  • Baldrick (M/1)
The oldest raven to "serve" at the Tower of London was called Jim Crow who lived to be 44. I would love to be in charge of naming the ravens, I think I've found a new career. Who is your favorite raven?

8 comments:

Allie said...

They all sound like Lord of the Rings characters, how cool.

LEstes65 said...

I love their names. I picked Gwylum as my favorite as soon as I read his name. It's the Welch form of William. And Liam is the last part of William. So you see where I'm going with this, don't you?

Unknown said...

That's wild! I like the name Thor though. Poor birdies.

j said...

random! i think i like baldrick the best. in fact, i'll have to keep it in mind for when i have children :)

Eimi said...

I like bran. That was has oodles of fiber.

Trish Ryan said...

This reminds me of the little girl in the book I'm reading who named the baby turkeys on the farm, fully aware that they'd be dinner in just a few short months...she named them Mr. Thanksgiving, Mr. Sausage, and Mr. Sushi (I guess turkey sushi is possible??)

Too funny.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I'm really going to need to see pictures and personality profiles to make an informed choice.

Anonymous said...

I choose Thor, if only because the God of Thunder is restricted to the Tower of London.