Thursday, September 13, 2007

You should just get married

This post wasn't supposed to sound bitter, it just had a classic Sarakastic ephinany at the end that I felt must be shared. I don't know what it is about me that says, "Please come up to me & tell me how I should get married.". Maybe it's the fact that I'm happy being single. It's a weekly occurence. In fact, it happens every single time I see certain people. In fact, they tell me, "You should just get married, it's not that hard". When I reply that it is really quite difficult, they reply with "You should just find a nice boy & settle down". Ohhhhhhh so that's what I'm doing wrong, I've been trying to date jerks, well that just clears everything up, getting married will be a piece of cake now.

This usually leads to a long lecture on how I shouldn't be anti marriage, (I'm not, I'm just anti Sara marrying an idiot). They then tell me how I'm too picky & how marriage is a lot of hard work & I just need to make that step. I then reply, "I just haven't found the right guy". Then they always say, you just have too high of expectations, even though they've never asked me what those expectations are. Usually, I would reply that I just want a boy who isn't stupid. This again leads to being told how I'm too much of feminist.

Today I was walking in a parking lot (That's not really important, in fact I should delete that because it would take a lot less effort than typing this explanation of the parking lot statement). Anyways, today I had an ephinany. The next time someone asks me what I'm looking for with that expression on their face that Sarakastic is too picky, I will just answer "A ninja. I want to date an actual ninja".

11 comments:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Maybe that is indeed the answer--why you've remained unmarried and unsatisfied with the average male. It takes some skills and dedication to be a ninja. And a skin tone that looks good in black.

Good luck.

LEstes65 said...

Oh you already know what I'm going to say. NEVER SETTLE. Yes marriage is work. But that work only happens when the two people are in love enough to see the value in DOING that work. I actually had this conversation with my future ex about 3 hrs ago as we walked through a Walmart together. We both agreed that, had he actually loved me 100%, he might have seen the value in actually working to save our marriage before stepping out on me.

Wait for it, my friend. If you want it, ask God to show you the right guy. God will honor that. Trust me - the guy God picks is WAY better than anything any of us could pick!!!

And...There!...soap box is put away.

Allie said...

Funny how most people like to tack the word "just" onto every milestone-action in a person's life - "just get married". I'm 20, so I haven't got that much of those comments yet, thank goodness, but I have a feeling I want a not-stupid boy too, and so I will keep "I want a ninja" at the back of my mind for when people tell me the same thing.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I'm only 18, and add that to the fact that I've never dated before, and people already accost me for my lack of marrage! (Personally, I think some of them are unaware that marrage usually follows dating.) Of coure, you you, people don't seem to like the idea that I want more than the usual, idiot guy.

Please keep writing these blogs. They are amazing, and you are amazing, and they give the average, run of the mill girls like me some hope. Peace out, girlscout!

MaeMae said...

um...settling down should have NOTHING to do with settling. rock on with your picky self...till you find a ninja, that is.

Eimi said...

Hi! I found you via virginia... and your post is funny!! I get the comment that I am too picky also!! (usually from my dad) I tell him that I don't wanna date a nasty guy who drools all over me or a guy that can't add 8+6. I ask for a lot, I tell you. A LOT!

Unknown said...

ROTFL! You crack me up! My family probably would have appreciated the ninja comment more than the "Didn't I tell you? I'm a lesbian now." comment that I threw at them. Made for fun facial reactions. :)

More power to you and your future ninja-mania! :)

j said...

having standards is not the same as being picky. there are a lot of people out there who don't understand the distinction. but wanting a ninja is definately a worthwhile standard :)

Trish Ryan said...

I've never understood how the same people who tell you how HARD marriage is also think you should just grab any guy who wanders by and dive in. Because it's so much easier if you start early???

I'm not sure a ninja is the answer (the whole "learning to fight fair" thing would be a little too death-defying) but definitely hold out for the right guy.

Maybe you can tell the people who keep telling you this crap, "You see, I'm waiting for the right guy so it won't be a lot of work...I'm holding out for a marriage that's FUN...so sorry you didn't..."

Stacy said...

Well said, Sara! I agree with you on everything (especially dating a ninja).

California Girl said...

Very interesting post. I had someone tell me yesterday that I was picky. Why yes, yes I am. I am 45, never married and am enjoying the fact that I have the opportunity to date anyone I choose. Its not so easy to find a good partner in life. Most of the guys I've dated consider me a good friend, but never beyond that. We enjoy each others company and body, but beyond that they are not wanting to be my mate in life. Good luck with your ninja.