Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Red Frosting: Just Say No

One of the first & only rules of baking that I learned was that there is no such thing as red frosting. If you put red food coloring in white frosting, it will turn pink. This was OK around Valentine's Day, but at Christmas it meant using red sprinkles instead of frosting which severely limited my cookie decorating abilities. I think this is the only reason why I'm not an Iron Chef.

So I was intrigued twenty years later when I was offered a cupcake with red frosting. Oh the wonders of technology I thought. I took a bite, tastes like frosting mmm frosting. Then I looked around the room & noticed that not only were everyone's tongues red, their teeth were pink. I rushed to the bathroom screaming inwardly "Nooo, I'm a grownup & princess, I'm a grownup princess who is very concerned with dental hygiene". Someone said quick drink lime soda that will help, it didn't. It took over an hour to wear off & my fingers were stained long after that. So if someone offers you red frosting for Abba Jabba (Valentine's Day), just say no.

5 comments:

Allie said...

One of the best blog post titles ever, methinks!

LEstes65 said...

Hmmmmm. I think that goes for dark blue frosting, too. But good to know. As always, you are a virtual cornucopia of knowledge.

Barrie said...

Could you report back on black frosting? :) Very funny post!

Unknown said...

I learned this lesson the hard way as well. Our university colors are red and white so every time there's an event or meeting or whatever, we get these damn red-frosted cupcakes that stain like crazy. We've all learned to scrape-and-scoop to get to the actual cupcake! :)

Trish Ryan said...

Red dye is one of the most frightening things the FDA ever approved. Frosting should be white or brown. It's wonderful enough on it's own; it doesn't need to be gussied up!