Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I'm not going down without a fight

You know those people who look deflated & slightly gray? They tend to say "that's life" a lot. I call them grown ups. I've always refused to become one. Yes, bad things happen. However, I will not let go of my hopes & dreams ie being the princess of Canada & marrying Adam Brody.

Last year, I was doing ok, still celebrating Abba Jabba. I figured if I'd held out until I was 26, I would naturally keep going. I always envisioned myself as a carefree person who at some point would take up tai chi & when I'm 75 I will have pretty white hair not gray hair. I don't know if the tai chi helps with that. I would wear flowing robes & tell inappropriate stories from my youth like Miss Patti from Gilmore Girls.

Then this morning as I was eating my healthy non captain crunch grown up cereal, I saw a bug in it. Then I screamed. Maybe I ran away & refused to go into the kitchen again....ever. This was at 5:30, in the morning time, before the sun is even awake. I skipped breakfast, avoided the cooking room & went to work, childhood spirit still intact. On the way home, I got a flat tire. My very first flat tire. At this moment I realized that I was waking up at 5:30 in the morning to pay for cereal with bugs in it & flat tires so that I could drive to my job at 5:30 in the morning & so on & so forth. I felt very grown up in that moment. Somewhere an angel cried.

I have not yet begun to fight. I will switch back to Captain Crunch. I will keep wearing my hoodie with skulls on it even though apparently it's inappropriate for a 26 year old. I will wear tiaras. I will refer to really good food as "It tastes like an angel pooped in my mouth", no matter where I am or who I'm with. I will exemplify awesomeosity.

& Somehow this dog was swimming in a marina in Florida when it was attacked by a shark. The owner of the dog jumped into the water & then kept punching the shark until the shark released the dog. Maybe this man is single. I would always introduce him as "This is my boyfriend, he punches sharks."

7 comments:

Allie said...

Ugh, flat tires and bugs in your cereal. Fight it!
Coooooool shark story.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Do you wear the tiaras with the skull hoodie? Just curious.

Adulthood can be very unpleasant. But it has its moments too. A friend of mine once told me (a guy) that he'd seen a roach in his kitchen and now might have to move. He's doing fine now--he bounced right back.

Unknown said...

shark-punch = ninja in my book! i say go for it! :) what did you do about the flat?

Gregory Anderson said...

I've never tried Tai Chi.

But I have tried Crab Rangoon.

Anonymous said...

good for you; pressing on, fighting on. adults suck, never grow up.

LEstes65 said...

Ok, I'm typing through tears because of THIS:

"It tastes like an angel pooped in my mouth."

Honey, I'll be 43 in 2 weeks. You ask anyone who knows me if I act like a grown up. Wear that hoodie. Eat the Cap'n Crunch. Don't give into the gray. It's a lie and it doesn't have to BE!

Anonymous said...

I love this post...and I would totally make out with a shark puncher.

Stay young, eat sugary cereal, be happy.

xox